Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Auchincloich

Broch (Iron Age)(Possible)

Site Name Auchincloich

Classification Broch (Iron Age)(Possible)

Canmore ID 45812

Site Number NS77NE 1

NGR NS 76 79

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/45812

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council North Lanarkshire
  • Parish Kilsyth (North Lanarkshire)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Cumbernauld And Kilsyth
  • Former County Stirlingshire

Archaeology Notes

NS77NE 1 c.76 79.

Dun, Auchincloich (Site): Gordon's illustrated account (1727) of a stone-walled structure known as 'Cairnfaal', situated on a hill called the Forebrae 'above the village of Auchincloich' leaves no doubt that, in his time, a dun existed here, and was in an excellent state of preservation. The circular stone wall, showing eight or nine courses of masonry and measuring 12ft in height by 16ft in thickness, enclosed an area about 80ft in diameter. There was an entrance on the E. An outwork is shown on Roy's plan, but of this Gordon says that it was 'so embarrassed and confused, that I hardly dare offer to describe it'.

RCAHMS 1963, visited 1954; W Roy 1793

No trace of this site was encountered during field investigation, nor was any knowledge of the names Forebrae or Cairnfaal discovered. The site marked by O G S Crawford (at NS 7663 7879, undated) was under crop at the time of visit. Farm workers have never seen any large stones around the area.

Visited by OS (JD) 9 October 1953

The site of the 'Castellum', possibly a broch, noted by Gordon cannot be located; what was probably the same structure is depicted by Roy about 485m NW of the present cottage of Easter Auchincloch, placing it (about NS 76 79) in the vicinity of the boundary between the districts of Falkirk, and Cumbernauld & Kilsyth. It was circular, measuring about 76m in circumference (25m in diameter), and the wall, which stood to a height of 3.6m in eight or nine courses, was 4.9m thick. It had an entrance facing E and was accompanied by an outwork. Although Gordon does not specify whether his measurement of the circumference is internal or external, it matches the external circumferences of other southern brochs such as Torwoodlee (NT42NE 2) (70m), Tappoch (NS88SW 1) (73m) and Calla (NS94NE 9) (73m).

RCAHMS 1982

Activities

Publication Account (2007)

NS77 1 AUCHINCLOICH

NS/76 79

This possible broch in Kilsyth was described and illustrated by Gordon [2] and in the early 1720s was some kind of dun or broch with a wall 4.9m thick and still showing several courses of masonry, apparently standing up to a height of 3.6m. The entrance faced east and the internal circumference was 73m. There are no traces of the building now and the grid reference is an estimate [1].

Sources: 1. NMRS site no. NS 77 NE 1: 2. Gordon 1726, 22: 3. RCAHMS 1963, 84, no. 93.

E W MacKie 2007

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions