Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Coatbridge, Bankhead

Cist(S) (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Coatbridge, Bankhead

Classification Cist(S) (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 45792

Site Number NS76SW 1

NGR NS 7249 6279

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/45792

Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2024.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council North Lanarkshire
  • Parish Old Monkland (Monklands)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Monklands
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Archaeology Notes

NS76SW 1 7249 6279.

(NS 7249 6279) Cists found AD 1832 (NAT)

OS 6" map (1968)

Four cists were discovered in May 1832 during the levelling of a small mound 900m SE of Old Monkland Church (Glasgow Evening Post, 26 May 1832). The cists, which measured about 1.0m by 0.6m contained the remains of crouched inhumations, two of them double burials with the skulls at opposite ends of the cists. A stone hammer-head and a coin were found in one cist, the latter no doubt indicating subsequent disturbance. There is now no sign of the site, and it is not certain from the report whether the cists were inserted into a small natural mound or were covered by a barrow. (The ONB notes that five cists were found "at or about the place shown".)

The present farmer states that his father discovered a single cist during ploughing in the same field; it contained a pottery vessel which the landowner, Mr Sholto Douglas, was thought to have presented to a museum, but it cannot now be traced.

RCAHMS 1978, visited 1973, Name Book 1858

Glasgow Evening Post notes that the only part of the legend on the coin noted above which could be deciphered read FR.ET.HIB.R. This suggests an Irish coin of the 17th or 18th century.

Seaby 1949

No further information was obtained during field investigation. The area of this site was covered in pasture.

Visited by OS (JLD) 18 October 1952

Activities

Project (February 2001 - March 2001)

NS76SW 149 centred on NS 725 626

NS 72 62 (area) A desk-based study and reconnaissance field survey were undertaken in February and March 2001 towards the preparation of a cultural heritage chapter for an Environmental Statement for a proposed business park within the Douglas Support Estate, near Coatbridge.

Eight sites were noted. Two known sites were a prehistoric burial site (NS 76 SW 1) and a battle-axe findspot which may relate to the same site (NS 76 SW 20). No field remains of the burial site were observed, and its former location has been partly disturbed by a recent pipeline development.

Two former coal mines (Rosehall Colliery Pits 3 and 12: NS 727 626 and 720 627) have largely been landscaped and reclaimed, and fragments of the former mineral railway network survive in the surrounding landscape. Two annular enclosures (NS 726 624) and a curvilinear parchmark (NS 722 629) were detected on vertical aerial photographs, but no surface traces of these sites were identified through field survey.

Part of the former Douglas Support Estate grounds lie within the study area. Field survey confirmed that most of the former estate buildings, including the country house at NS 722 621, have been demolished, although the ruins of the estate offices (NS 723 623) and a mausoleum (NS 720 623) survive, and the 19th-century terraced gardens overlooking the North Calder Water remain as substantial earthworks. The former garden features of the estate have largely been removed, although surrounding parkland features survive in good, if neglected, condition.

Full report to be deposited in the NMRS.

Sponsor: Palisade Properties plc.

A Dunwell 2002

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions