Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Inchnock Tower

Tower House (Medieval)

Site Name Inchnock Tower

Classification Tower House (Medieval)

Canmore ID 45773

Site Number NS76NW 6

NGR NS 7176 6928

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/45773

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council North Lanarkshire
  • Parish New Monkland (Monklands)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Monklands
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Archaeology Notes

NS76NW 6 7176 6928.

(NS 7176 6928) Inchnock Tower (NR) (remains of)

OS 6" map (1967)

Inchnock was an old castle of the Forsyths of Dykes.

Orig Paroch Scot 1851

The ruins of a tower or mansion which was long the residence and property of a family named Steale who still, by deed, keep the tomb (at NS 7186 6917) in their possession for burial. What were the offices are still in good repair and converted into dwellings occupied by agricultural labourers. The date of this old ruin cannot be ascertained, though Mr Mclean (of S Medroy) states that it fell into ruins about the middle of the 17th century.

Name Book 1857

All that remains of Inchnock Tower is a low fragment of wall, considerably mutilated and overgrown; its maximum height, on the S, is 0.75m, while the maximum width is 1.25m. The W end has entirely gone.

On the E is the trace of a small (?) outbuilding.

Visited by OS (JLD) 12 February 1954

Activities

Archaeological Evaluation (2014)

Banks Developments, with GL Hearn acting as lead consultants, are

developing a Masterplan for Glenboig Community Growth Area to feed into

the emerging Local Plan for North Lanarkshire. CFA Archaeology Ltd was

commissioned to establish cultural heritage baseline conditions, in order to

inform the Masterplanning process. The proposed development area and new building plots is depicted on Figure 1. The current land use is mostly a mix of arable and pasture farmland surrounding the villages of Glenboig and Marnoch. The NMRS and WoSAS SMR contain records for eleven sites and monuments within the proposed development area. These are Inchnock Tower (1), Glenboig village (6), Glenboig Church of Scotland (7), Glenboig Union Fireclay Works (8), Glenboig railway station (9), a Purification works (12), Hayhill farmstead (19), Marnoch village (20), Gartcosh Cold Rolled Steel Mill (21), a findspot (22) and Woodneuk House (23).

CFA Archaeology Ltd, 2014

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions