Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Hamilton, Cadzow Lane, Hamilton Parish Church

Church (18th Century)

Site Name Hamilton, Cadzow Lane, Hamilton Parish Church

Classification Church (18th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Cadzow Street; Strathmore Road; Hamilton Old Parish Church

Canmore ID 45676

Site Number NS75NW 33

NGR NS 72327 55534

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/45676

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council South Lanarkshire
  • Parish Hamilton (South Lanarkshire)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Hamilton
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Archaeology Notes

(NS 72715 55987) Site of Collegiate Church (GT)

OS 6" map (1938)

The old parish church of Hamilton founded by David I in the 13th century, was rebuilt in 1450, and continued in use until 1732, when it was superseded by the present church. Part of the old church remained for a long time, however, for it served as the burial vault of the Hamiltons until it was removed in 1852.

Hamilton Civic Soc 1932

The foundation of the collegiate church in the parish church of Hamilton was confirmed by the Pope, 4 January, 1450/1.

D E Easson 1957

The site is occupied by Hamilton Town Council refuse tip. No remains are visible

Visited by OS (JLD) 3 September 1953 NS75NW 33 7232 5553.

Built 1732 from designs of William Adam. Interior recast 1926; part of the original pulpit extant.

G Hay 1957

Architecture Notes

NMRS REFERENCE

Related Site:- NS75NW 33.01 NS 72278 55496 Church Hall

NS75NW 33.02 NS 72327 55533 Churchyard

Architect: William Adam 1732.

Simpson and Brown Photographs

Box 6 album no 91

1988 exterior towards the William Adam centenary there

EXTERNAL REFERENCE

Scottish Record Office

Directing a building of the New Church [1732]

An account included in report of claims made by John Adam, architect, on behalf of himself and his father, William, against the Duke of Hamilton claims a fee of 30 pounds.

1770 Fea of Clestrain GD31/554

William Adam, architect [1689-1748]

He mentions a visit to the work in a letter to Sir John Clerk.

1729 GD18/4782/2

Activities

Publication Account (1996)

The present parish church of Hamilton was designed by William Adam, the father of Robert Adam, in 1732 figure 15. It is the only extant example of a William Adam church. Of classical design, it is in the form of a Greek cross. Apart from the cupola above the dome, which replaced a cone-shaped, slated roof, the church is largely in its original state. Built of local stone on the site of an earlier horse market, it was deliberately placed hereto the west of the eighteenth-century town-in order to encourage a movement of settlement in this direction, and away from the ducal policies

Information from ‘Historic Hamilton: The Archaeological Implications of Development’ (1996).

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions