Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Stonehouse, Manse Road, St Ninian's Church, Churchyard And Martyr's Tomb; War Memorial

Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Church (Period Unassigned), Covenanters Grave, War Memorial (20th Century)

Site Name Stonehouse, Manse Road, St Ninian's Church, Churchyard And Martyr's Tomb; War Memorial

Classification Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Church (Period Unassigned), Covenanters Grave, War Memorial (20th Century)

Canmore ID 45596

Site Number NS74NW 4

NGR NS 74812 47011

NGR Description Centred on NS 74812 47011

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/45596

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council South Lanarkshire
  • Parish Stonehouse (East Kilbride)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District East Kilbride
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Archaeology Notes

NS74NW 4.00 74812 47011

NS74NW 4.01 NS 7478 4702 cist

(NS 7478 4702) St. Ninian's Church (NR) (Ruin)

(NS 7479 4701) Martyr's Tomb (NAT)

OS 6" map (1913)

All that remains of St Ninians Church is a gable end of a pre-Reformation Church and its foundations. Parish and churchyard were dedicated in the 9th c. to St Ninian.

J A Wilson 1936-7; Stonehouse Office Guide, undated

All that now remains of St Ninian's Church is the west gable-end which stands to its full height and is complete with bell-turret . The martyr's Tomb commemmorates the death of James Thomson who was shot in an encounter at Drumclog June 1st 1679.

Visited by OS (AC) 23 June 1959.

Activities

Project (February 2014 - July 2014)

A data upgrade project to record war memorials.

Geophysical Survey (17 March 2018)

NS 74812 47011 Resistance and ground penetrating radar

(GPR) surveys were carried out, 17 March 2018, to the SW

of the ruins of St Ninian’s Church, Stonehouse. The aim

of the survey was to confirm the existence and location

of a postulated tunnel believed to run from the graveyard

associated with St Ninian’s.

The area available for survey was limited due to livestock

pens and other material and as a result only a 20 x 40m

area was investigated. However, the postulated tunnel, if it

existed, should have crossed the survey area.

Resistance survey at 0.5m intervals using a standard 0.5m

probe separation, which maps to a depth of c0.75m, was

undertaken. GPR survey using a 500MHz and a 250Mhz

antanea was also undertaken. A 500MHz antenna should

retrieve data to a depth of c2m while a 250MHz antenna

should retrieve data to c4m.

Both surveys detected broad variations which are thought

to be due natural variations within the underlying sands.

No anomalies consistent with a tunnel type feature were

detected.

The survey was part of a community event with members

the Stonehouse Heritage Group (as part of CAVLP) assisting

with the data collection. The survey was commissioned and

organised by Archaeology Scotland as part of the Adopt a

Monument scheme.

Archive: Rose Geophysical Consultants

Funder: Archaeology Scotland on behalf of the Stonehouse

Heritage Group

Susan Ovenden – Rose Geophysical Consultants

(Source: DES, Volume 19)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions