Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Rigg, Librymoor Plantation

Leper Hospital (Medieval)

Site Name Rigg, Librymoor Plantation

Classification Leper Hospital (Medieval)

Canmore ID 45517

Site Number NS71SW 4

NGR NS 7141 1175

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/45517

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish Kirkconnel
  • Former Region Dumfries And Galloway
  • Former District Nithsdale
  • Former County Dumfries-shire

Archaeology Notes

NS71SW 4 7141 1175.

On Rig Farm is a field known as Libry Park, where there was a hospital for lepers: "Libry means the abode of lepers".

T Wilson and W McMillan 1931

Nothing was seen during recording to substantiate the suggestion of a leper house here. Building detail is shown at Libbry on Pont's map (too small to site) of 1612, and there was at one time, apparently a Libry farm, now gone.

J Blaeu 1662; Name Book 1857

The large field (centred NS 715118) E of the burn is known as Libry Park. The leper colony is supposed to have stood about halfway up the field, where there is a level area (A Mowat, Rig Farm). At NS 71411175 the surface of the field, which slopes towards the N, has been scooped out to the S and banked up to the N, forming a level platform 70.0m by 70.0m. There are no surface indications of a building and no trace of worked stone in nearby dykes.

Visited by OS (JFC) 9 September 1954

The entire field known as Libry Park is under mature afforestation and the level platform cannot be identified.

Visited by OS (JRL) 17 March 1978

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions