Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Balgair Muir

Standing Stone (Prehistoric)

Site Name Balgair Muir

Classification Standing Stone (Prehistoric)

Canmore ID 45395

Site Number NS69SW 12

NGR NS 6077 9038

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/45395

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Stirling
  • Parish Balfron
  • Former Region Central
  • Former District Stirling
  • Former County Stirlingshire

Archaeology Notes

NS69SW 12 6077 9038.

NS 607 904. A standing stone is situated on Balgair Muir, about 180 yds NW of a gate which opens off the Fintry-Kippen road 340 yds N of its crossing of the Lernock Burn. It is triangular in profile and wedge-shaped in section, measuring 3'3" both in height and breadth along its base, by 1'7" in greatest thickness. It may well have been a boundary stone as it is near the corner of some ground which is enclosed by a turf dyke and has been cultivated.

RCAHMS 1963, visited 1952

NS 6071 9038. This wedge-shaped, unsculptured standing stone measures 1.0m x 0.7m x 1.0m high. It is situated on the slope of a hill some distance below its crest and stands on an area of the moor which has at some time been cultivated.

Surveyed at 1:10,000.

Visited by OS (JLD) 3 April 1957 and (SFS) 10 November 1975

NS 607 903 This triangular-shaped stone, which stands about im high, is probably a boundary-marker.

RCAHMS 1963; RCAHMS 1979; visited September 1978

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions