Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Cardross House

Country House (Period Unassigned), Tower House (Medieval)

Site Name Cardross House

Classification Country House (Period Unassigned), Tower House (Medieval)

Canmore ID 45360

Site Number NS69NW 1

NGR NS 60463 97659

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/45360

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Stirling
  • Parish Port Of Menteith
  • Former Region Central
  • Former District Stirling
  • Former County Perthshire

RCAHMS Threatened Buildings Survey 2009

The Erskine family acquired the Cardross estate after the Reformation. The earliest surviving portion of the existing building is the substantial late 16th century three storey L-plan tower house with four storey tower at the southwest. An Erskine family lintol dated 1598 survives on the tower along with one ceiling of the same date. There is little other evidence to precisely date this tower house that does not already appear in MacGibbon and Ross.

The tower house was extended to the west, possibly in 1747 as this date appears on another lintol on the tower. A smart classical doorcase was later added to the south front with a new hall inserted through the vaulted lower storey leading to a new staircase. Wings were added to the northeast and northwest flanking the staircase. These contain a library and a principal bedroom suite. The first floor windows lighting the drawing and dining rooms were probably enlarged at this time. The Buildings of Scotland volume on Stirling and Central Scotland suggests c.1790 for this work. At some point after this date the entrance front was moved to the north and a flat roofed entrance hall was inserted between the earlier wings. The Dictionary of Scottish Architects records William Stirling I as the architect of this work, c.1803, whereas the Buildings of Scotland volume dates the new entrance front to 1820. William Stirling was a distant kinsman of the Erskines of Cardross and could have been responsible for both phases of work, which also included a new stable block, for David Erskine.

In 1922 Jamieson & Arnott made minor alterations and additions including installation of a Mackenzie and Moncur central heating system. The drawings for this are held at RCAHMS in the Sydney Mitchell & Wilson Collection (SMW 1920/4/1-4).

Information from RCAHMS (STG), 2009

Archaeology Notes

NS69NW 1.00 60463 97659

NS69NW 1.01 60602 97873 Stables

NS69NW 1.02 61106 97803 Burial Ground

NS69NW 1.03 60448 97549 Walled Garden

NS69NW 1.04 60613 98168 and NS 60623 98084 Sundials

(NS 6048 9766) Cardross (NR)

OS 6" map (1958)

Cardross House appears to date from three periods. Constructed as a comparatively small L-planned tower-house probably dating from the early 16th century, an eastern extension of three storeys was added in the same century, and the original building heightened. Corner turrets were then added to tower and extension.

In the 18th century an entirely new N front was added together with a modern domestic building to the west. The windows were probably enlarged at this period and the entire roof line renewed. Lintels over windows

on the S. front are inscribed:'DE and MH 1598' and IE and AJ 1747.

N Tranter 1963

As described and illustrated by Tranter. It is now almost impossible to trace the outline of the original L-shaped tower-house.

Visited by OS (WDJ) 17 October 1968.

Architecture Notes

REFERENCE

Memoir of Sir D Erskine of Cardross edited by Mrs S Erskine 1926, p 26-34 - description and photograph of Cardross House

NMRS REFERENCE

Plans of Cardross House,1922, Dick Peddie & MacKay, Edinburgh, 13 Young Street

Attic 2, Bin 35, Bag 1

Plans, alterations to Cardross House, Lake of Menteith, 1922, Dick Peddie & MacKay, Edinburgh, Sydney Mitchell & Wilson, 13 Young Street

Attic 2, Bin 4, Bag 1

Activities

Field Visit

RCAHMS visited Cardross House on 26 May 2009. A photographic record of the building was not possible at that time.

Information from RCAHMS (STG), 2009

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions