Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Knockraich

Standing Stone (Prehistoric)

Site Name Knockraich

Classification Standing Stone (Prehistoric)

Canmore ID 45305

Site Number NS68NW 4

NGR NS 6089 8774

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/45305

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Stirling
  • Parish Fintry
  • Former Region Central
  • Former District Stirling
  • Former County Stirlingshire

Archaeology Notes

NS68NW 4 6089 8774.

NS 608 876. The standing stone at Knockraich is 3ft 6ins high of squarish section and measuring 1ft 7in NE - SW by 1ft 4in from NW - SE. On the top, which has been brought to an irregularly rounded point, there is an almost circular hollow 5 1/2 to 6ins across and 2 1/2in deep; it is difficult to suppose this is other than artificial. The stone's SE side has several natural cavities and a deep groove - also presumed to be natural.

The NW face has natural cavities and one 2ft 4 1/2ins above ground level has a somewhat artificial appearance. A human figure, in pocked technique, is about 1ft above ground on this same face and measures 8in high by 7 1/2in wide. The figure lacks characteristics which might date it but Hutchison said that some markings gave evidence of recent sculpture; two similar figures on the Bruce Aisle Airth Church are later than 1614.

RCAHMS 1963; A F Hutchison 1893

NS 6089 8774. This standing stone, much weathered and moss grown,is as described above.

Visited by OS (DS) 4 April 1957

NS 608 877 This stone stands about 1m high and bears a human figure of unknown date, two cup-marks and a number of natural markings.

RCAHMS 1979; RCAHMS 1963

Activities

Field Visit (2 October 1952)

NS 68 NW (unnoted) 608876

This stone stands 350 yds. NW. of Knockraich farmhouse, on a low hummock which just raises it above the flood-plain of the Endrick Water. It is 3ft 6ins high of squarish section and measuring 1ft 7in NE - SW by 1ft 4in from NW - SE. On the top, which has been brought to an irregularly rounded point, there is an almost circular hollow 5 ½ to 6ins across and 2 ½ in deep; it is difficult to suppose this is other than artificial, although its bottom shows differential weathering. The SE side of the stone shows several natural cavities, and a deep and wide vertical groove which is also presumably natural. The NW. face seems to have been flattened to a certain extent, a slight ridge which is visible along part of either margin probably representing a survival of the original surface. On this face, 12 in. above the ground, a human figure has-been outlined in pocked technique. It is in full-face, the features being indicated by pocked marks; the arms are extended just below the level of the shoulders and the legs are widely spread with the feet turned outwards. The lower edge of a tunic or short kilt seems to be indicated by a single line between the legs. The figures 8 in. high and measures 7 in. in breadth between the hands and 7 ½ in. between the feet. This face of the stone also shows a number of small natural cavities, together with a shallow cup which has a somewhat artificial appearance; this cup is in the centre of the face and 2 ft. 4 ½ in. above ground level, apparently at the upper margin of the flattened area. The figure lacks any distinctive characteristics which might afford evidence of date, but it may be relatively modern since a 19th-century observer refers to cup-marks, incised lines and other markings ‘some of which give evidence of recent sculpture’ (Hutchinson 1893, 132). Two somewhat similar figures carved on the Bruce Aisle at Airth Church (p. 146) are later than 1614.

RCAHMS 1963, visited 2 October 1952

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions