Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Culcreuch Castle Hotel

Castle (16th Century), Hotel (Period Unassigned), Sundial (18th Century)

Site Name Culcreuch Castle Hotel

Classification Castle (16th Century), Hotel (Period Unassigned), Sundial (18th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Culcreach Castle; Culcreuch

Canmore ID 45304

Site Number NS68NW 3

NGR NS 62025 87679

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/45304

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Stirling
  • Parish Fintry
  • Former Region Central
  • Former District Stirling
  • Former County Stirlingshire

Summary Record (2009)

Andrew Galbraith is mentioned as Laird of Culcreuch in 1472 but the oldest part of the existing Culcreuch Castle dates from the turn of the 15th and 16th centuries. The rectangular structure has walls that average 5ft 6ins in thickness and contains three storeys and an attic rising at the top of the parapet to a height of 42ft 6ins. Part of the original wheel stair can be seen at the north east corner of the ground floor 'cellar' bar.

In 1630 the Galbraiths sold the estate to Alexander Seton of Gargunnock who in turn sold the estate in 1632 to Robert Napier, second son of John Napier of Merchiston.

A wing was added to the east which now contains the entrance. There are two carved panels set above this. The lower one, dated 1721, has the initials of John Napier and his wife Margaret Lennox and is a record of their marriage, whilst the upper one is indecipherable. The wing was probably built towards the end of the 18th century, with the panels being re-sited to their current location above the door.

This wing consists of an oblong block of four storeys rising to the same height as the tower. The bow ended staircase behind appears to be of a similar date. The first floor hall has been remodelled at various periods but still retains an original ogee-arched aumbry and a fine mid 19th century fireplace. The drawing room occupied the whole of the first floor of the wing and retains its white marble fireplace and an ornate plaster ceiling. During the 19th century a variety of additions and alterations were made creating the existing roughly U-plan building.

Sometime after 1761 the estate was acquired by Robert Spiers of the Elderslie family with which it remained until 1890. It is tempting to attribute the 18th century work to this proprietor on stylistic grounds.

In 1879 Sir George Home-Spiers employed John Honeyman to carryout alterations which may have included the crowstepped east range with its conical tower. In the 1970s alterations were carried out by G D Lodge & Partners and J G Wallace for Hercules Robinson of Culcreuch.

Information from RCAHMS (STG), 2009.

Archaeology Notes

NS68NW 3 62025 87679

(NS 6202 8768) Culcreuch (NAT)

OS 6" map (1922)

Culcreuch Castle consists of a rubble-built tower with dressed quoins typical of the turn of the 15th/ 16th century, but is now part of a complex structure. A wing was added to its east side in the 18th century and further additions were made later to both these earlier elements. Notwithstanding the presence of a panel dated 1721 over the entrance, the wing was probably built towards the end of the 18th century. Above this panel is another with illegible date.

RCAHMS 1963; D MacGibbon and T Ross 1892

'Culcreuch' which name is confirmed (Mrs R E Menzies, owner), is as described above and is in very good condition.

Visited by OS (DS) 4 April 1957

Culcreuch (NAT) Tower (NR)

OS 1:2500 map (1968)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions