Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Cadder, Cawder House, Stables

Stable(S) (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Cadder, Cawder House, Stables

Classification Stable(S) (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 45270

Site Number NS67SW 37

NGR NS 60668 72591

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/45270

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council East Dunbartonshire
  • Parish Cadder (Strathkelvin-du)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Strathkelvin
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Site Management (13 January 2006)

Courtyard plan stable complex, comprising original 3-bay, 2-storey stable and hayloft with flanking single storey carriage houses to N range; early 19th century, single storey stores to W range; cottage to SW and carriage houses to SE of S range; cottage to E range. Classical detailing to exterior of N range, facing Cawder House and driveway.

Cawder Stables are an important group of farm and stable buildings lying to the immediate SE of Cawder House. The buildings show a contrast between two building phases which together form the courtyard. The stables first appear in this place on Richardson's map of 1795 in a N-facing, U-plan arrangement, part of which has been retained as the N range. On Forrest's 1816 map, the stables have changed to a courtyard plan, the E, S and W ranges probably having been added during the contemporary improvements to the estate carried out by David Hamilton.

Charles Stirling (owner and benefactor of Cawder House) was an enthusiastic patron of his work, and prior to taking ownership of Cawder, Stirling had commissioned Hamilton to build his previous mansion, Kenmure House (now demolished, on the site of Bishopbriggs Golf Club to the SW of Cawder). Hamilton then executed the Cawder Estate improvements between 1813 and 1815, before returning to Cadder again in 1825 to build Cadder Parish Church.

Of the four ranges, the N range is particularly interesting, as it shows a contrast between the classical detailing applied to the N elevation, the public facade which would be seen by those arriving by carriage up the driveway, and the S facade where the classical detailing disappears from the doorways, being more utilitarian in nature. Additional, later buildings to the S and SE of the courtyard have since been abandoned and largely removed, with only the shell of one cottage surviving to the S.

The mixed usage of the name Cawder and Cadder to describe the house, village and estate can be a source of some confusion. In the ancient maps of Richardson and Forrest, the parish is marked as 'Cadder' (the parish being one of the original 365 designated parishes), whilst the House and estate are marked as 'Calder'. The use of 'Calder' has since disappeared, and until the early 20th century the estate, village and parish were all refered to as Cadder. The use of the name Cawder was adopted by the golf club and this has since become the most common name for the House and its related estate, whilst the village and parish have continued to be called Cadder. These changes in name and spelling have been put down to gradual changes in dialect and pronunciation through time. (Historic Scotland)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions