Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Bencloich

Tower House (Medieval)(Possible)

Site Name Bencloich

Classification Tower House (Medieval)(Possible)

Alternative Name(s) Bencloich Castle; Bencloich Mains

Canmore ID 45175

Site Number NS67NW 10

NGR NS 6395 7846

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/45175

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2018.

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council East Dunbartonshire
  • Parish Campsie
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Strathkelvin
  • Former County Stirlingshire

Archaeology Notes

NS67NW 10 6395 7846.

Bencloich Tower was built by Sir James Livingstone, who acquired the lands about 1667. It stood on a well-chosen site; the tower and offices occupied what was then a level platform of sufficient size to accommodate them all. There was a gorge on either side, formed by the Ferret or Glorat Burn; there are still trees growing on the Ferret Brae, near the site of this tower. Debris from the 18th - 19th century lime workings covers parts of the platform where the tower stood, on a spot near the old pit, situated just W of the Ferret Burn. The tower remained pretty entire until about 1804, when the material was used to build new steadings and cottages.

J Cameron 1892.

NS 6395 7846. There is no local knowledge of the site of this tower. The site indicated fits the description given by Cameron, and is possibly where the tower stood. This area, and the adjacent hillside, is covered by the spoil heaps of old limestone workings.

Visited by OS (R D) 6 May 1966 and (J L D) 26 March 1957.

No additional information.

RCAHMS 1982, visited 1977.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions