Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Lochinver Fishing Station

Fishing Station (19th Century), Harbour (19th Century), Pier (19th Century)

Site Name Lochinver Fishing Station

Classification Fishing Station (19th Century), Harbour (19th Century), Pier (19th Century)

Canmore ID 4513

Site Number NC02SE 7

NGR NC 093 223

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2022.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images


Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Assynt
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Sutherland
  • Former County Sutherland


Reference (1988)

The fishing station of Lochinver was owned by Macdonald of Skeabost who, from 1816 to 1848 also owned Isle Ristol, fomerly the property of the BFS (Dunlop 1952,272). Consequently, the New Statistical Account (1837-40) includes references not only to safe anchorage here, but also to a small convenient harbour, where 'a pier has been erected' (NSAS Assynt, V15,115). Lochinver had been one of the 'maritime villages' where development was earlier contemplated (Henderson 1812b, 143), and on a map from Dunrobin (Burnett & Scott 1833) its roadstead is shown with several ships.

The new pier (1969) has covered over the site beyond the mouth of the River Culag to the south of the village where older OS maps marked a pier. The embankment of the road from Culag Bridge along the shore is of medium-sized blocks, quite neatly set, and may preserve the type of the masonry of the old pier. The shoreline of the head of the Loch contains several well smoothed rock landings, the best being in a

small inlet below the church.

A Graham and J Gordon 1988

Note (30 March 2011)

For the modern pier, see NC02SE 37.

Information from RCAHMS (LMcC) 30 March 2011


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions