Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Glasgow, 3 Castle Street, Provand's Lordship

Manse (Period Unassigned), Museum (19-20th Century), Sherd (Pottery)(19-20th Century)

Site Name Glasgow, 3 Castle Street, Provand's Lordship

Classification Manse (Period Unassigned), Museum (19-20th Century), Sherd (Pottery)(19-20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) 8 Macleod Street

Canmore ID 45035

Site Number NS66NW 7

NGR NS 60096 65506

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/45035

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Glasgow, City Of
  • Parish Glasgow (City Of Glasgow)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District City Of Glasgow
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Archaeology Notes

NS66NW 7.00 60096 65506

(NS 6010 6550) Provand's Lorship (NR)

OS 1:1250 map, (1969)

NS66NW 7.01 NS 6009 6549 Drain

NS66NW 7.02 NS 6008 6551 Well

NS66NW 7.03 NS 6008 6550 Urban Excavation

The building known as "Provand's Lordship" was erected in 1471 by Bishop Andrew Muirhead, and is part of the Hospital of St Nicholas founded by the Bishop for the support of twelve aged poor men. The rest has long since disappeared but it seems likely that this part was the official dwelling of the Master or Preceptor; it was a three-storeyed tenement, built of sandstone. At some date, probably not long after the house was built, part of it became the official dwelling of the Prebendary of Balernock. McUre, writing in 1736, says "he was called the Lord Provan (sic) and his Rectory was design'd the Lordship of Provan." McUre's word "Rectory" was taken locally to mean the building instead of the official position, and so the name "Provand's Lordship" came into use. In 1670, a new front or west wall and wings were built; these walls are much thinner than the earlier ones.

It is now (ie. 1976) the property of Strathclyde Regional Council, and in use as a museum.

L Capperton 1930.

Architecture Notes

Non-Guardianship Sites Plan Collection, DC28882- DC28895, 1938, 1939 & 1955 - 1956.

Activities

Casual Observation (16 August 2010)

NS 60096 65506 Two glazed stoneware pot sherds of late 19th- or early 20th-century date were found by Suzanne Ross (Conservator) while deep cleaning the Provand’s Lordship ground floor dining room ceiling and wall on 16 August 2010. The pot sherds were dislodged from the upper right corner of wall PL003:W04 and it is likely that they had come from the room above. Another pot sherd was noted between the wall and ceiling, but this was not removed.

The pot sherds are probably from different vessels, possibly storage jars and may have been made in one of Glasgow’s potteries. One sherd is glazed over a white slip, and is a maximum of 65 x 46 x 6mm. The other sherd has a white glazed interior and a glazed exterior over a brown slip, and is a maximum of 55 x 38 x 8mm. The finds were not claimed as Treasure Trove.

Archive: Glasgow Museums Resource Centre

Funder: Glasgow Life (Glasgow Museums)

Jane Flint – Glasgow Life (Glasgow Museums)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions