Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

An Dun, Stoer

Cist (Period Unknown), Human Remains (Period Unknown), Mound (Period Unknown), Sand Pit (Modern)

Site Name An Dun, Stoer

Classification Cist (Period Unknown), Human Remains (Period Unknown), Mound (Period Unknown), Sand Pit (Modern)

Canmore ID 4496

Site Number NC02NW 1

NGR NC 0397 2818

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2023.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Assynt
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Sutherland
  • Former County Sutherland

Archaeology Notes

NC02NW 1 0397 2818

(NC 0397 2818) Cist found AD 1871 (NAT)

OS 1:10,000 map, (1971)

An Dun, Stoer: The OS map indicates a construction 'An Dun' towards the NW end of Loch-an-Aigeis, and between the loch and the bay of Stoer, but there is nothing now observable on the site.

RCAHMS 1911.

An Dun: A large elevated mound situated about 1/4 mile S of the village of Stoer. In opening the mound in 1871, the Rev James Joass discovered a large stone coffin containing a complete skeleton, which has replaced in the mound with the exception of the skull which was taken to Dunvaluin Castle and is now in the possession of the Duke of Sutherland. The above is believed to be associated with the broch about 1/4 mile to the SE (NC02NW 2).

Name Book 1875.

This mound seems to have been a prominent dune, which has been quarried for sand over the years. All that survives is an oval hummocky grassy area c. 40.0m SE-NW x 28.0m NE-SW rising to a maximum height of 1.5m in the SE.

Visited by OS (A A) 31 July 1974 and (G H P) 10 May 1962.

No change to previous field report.

Visited by OS (J B) 28 July 1980.


Field Visit (8 June 1909)

21. An Dun, Stoer. The O.S. map indicates a construction ‘An Dun’ towards the NW. end of Loch-an-Aigeil, and between the loch and the Bay of Stoer, but there is nothing now observable on the site.

OS 6-inch map: Sutherland Sheet lviii.

RCAHMS 1911, visited (AOC) 8th June 1909.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions