Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Blantyre, 'old Place'

Farm (Period Unassigned), Fortified House (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Blantyre, 'old Place'

Classification Farm (Period Unassigned), Fortified House (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 44864

Site Number NS65NE 15

NGR NS 6807 5689

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/44864

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council South Lanarkshire
  • Parish Blantyre (Hamilton)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Hamilton
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Archaeology Notes

NS65NE 15 6807 5689.

(NS 6807 5689) Old Place (NAT)

OS 6" map, (1935)

Mains Old Place is built upon the site of the old farm of Blantyre Priory; a house, which seems to have been a fortified dwelling having a moat around it. The old house was taken down about 1800.

Name Book 1858.

Old Place on site of Mediaeval house. No information relatingto this old house was encountered during investigation. The present owner knows nothing of its existence; but states that from time to time many large stones are dug up in the garden - possibly foundations. A stone taken out of the house sometime ago, bore the date "1762". The present building appears to be of this period.

Visited by OS (J D) 26 August 1953.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions