Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Drumsargad Castle

Castle (Medieval), Motte (Medieval)(Possible)

Site Name Drumsargad Castle

Classification Castle (Medieval), Motte (Medieval)(Possible)

Canmore ID 44858

Site Number NS65NE 1

NGR NS 6660 5973

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/44858

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council South Lanarkshire
  • Parish Cambuslang (City Of Glasgow)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District City Of Glasgow
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Archaeology Notes

NS65NE 1 6660 5973.

(NS 6660 5973) Drumsargad Castle (NR) (Site of)

OS 6" map, (1958)

The site of Drumsargard Castle (New Statistical Account [NSA] 1845; Ordnance Survey Name Book [ONB] 1858) is represented by a circular mound, level on top, about 20' in height and 140' in diameter, at the W end of a small ridge. Some remains were extant about 1775, but there is now no trace of the castle to be seen, its stones having been used to build Hallside farm. Human bones have been found at the site, and on many occasions ancient coins, the dates of which have not been ascertained, have been picked up. This must have been a position of considerable strength, being surrounded by wet, marshy ground which could easily be flooded, except on the E, where there is said to have been a drawbridge.

NSA 1845; Name Book 1858; G Henderson and J J Waddell 1904.

No traces of this castle now exist, except for the mound on which it stood. This is large and roughly elliptical, with traces of an intrenchment on the E. There is a faint suggestion of a mound on the W end of this ridge. From the E, the whole mound appears to be natural, but elsewhere it is apparently quite artificially constructed, although it is now spread to merge with the natural hill-slope. The owner of the adjacent farm knows nothing of its history, and states that it has been under pasture since 1939. He has no knowledge of any finds. The height of the mound above the ditch on the E is 1.7m, while the average breadth of the base of the ditch is 5.5m. [See also NS65NE 41.]

Visited by OS (J L D) 12 August 1953; Visible on RAF air photographs CPE/Scot/UK 290: 5052.

The Barony of Drumsargard originated in the reign of Alexander II (1214-49) under Walter Olifard. It passed from him to the de Moravia family in the early 14th century. In 1370, it was in the possession of the Douglas family, passing to the Hamiltons in 1455.

J T T Brown 1884.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions