Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Old Auchentroig

Lairds House (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Old Auchentroig

Classification Lairds House (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Old Auchentroig House

Canmore ID 44659

Site Number NS59SW 2

NGR NS 54446 93521

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/44659

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Stirling
  • Parish Drymen
  • Former Region Central
  • Former District Stirling
  • Former County Stirlingshire

Architecture Notes

NS59SW 2.00 54446 93521

NS59SW 2.01 54426 93497 Walled Garden

NS59SW 6 54528 93535 St Patrick's College

(NS 5445 9352) Old Auchentroig (NR)

OS 6" map, (1958)

Old Auchentroig, standing 70 yds W of the modern mansion, is an interesting example of a small laird's residence, built in 1702. Apart from a few minor alterations and repairs, it can be regarded as virtually intact. It is an oblong rubble-built building of two storeys and a garret, measuring 37'6" by 18'9" externally. The entrance lintel bears the inscription 17MS IM BG02, and a heraldic panel.

RCAHMS 1963, visited 1952.

Old Auchentroig (name confirmed), as described above, is in fair condition. The roof is slated, with crow-stepped gables, and the exterior has been extensively plastered. It is now used as a workshop. A modern outhouse has been constructed against the NE wall.

Visited by OS (D S) 29 March 1957.

NS 544 935 Full structural survey of the laird's house of c 1700 was undertaken in advance of and during extensive conservation works with limited archaeological investigation.

The existing structure had formerly been provided with a two-storied wing to the rear, the founds and details of which were defined by excavation and found to form a T-plan. The structure had been organised internally upon a 3' 9'' horizontal and vertical grid. The surviving range retained many more original features than hitherto suspected, including its stair arrangement, two planked internal partitions, and original plank flooring in the loft. The roof structure survived in remarkable condition where each timber was the original, marked and in situ (four of the ties were found to be reused ship?s masts), some two-thirds of the slates were original Aberfoyle with large holes for pine pegs (although subsequently relaid with nails). The majority of the original sarking remained in place.

Analysis of the front door, supposedly partly burnt during a historically attested raid by Rob Roy McGregor, revealed the extent of surviving original work and at least five episodes of subsequent repair. Miscellaneous discoveries include an early wrought-iron fire grate and a sun-dial dated 1712 (although perhaps brought to the property from elsewhere). Occupation levels of the very early 18th century were located to the exterior.

The house underwent two subsequent phases in its evolution. The former at the beginning of the 19th century was marked by the removal of the rear wing and the insertion of new woodwork (window surrounds, dado rails, door frames, etc), with walls and ceilings plastered onto lath. The second phase of c 1886 marked a further reconditioning with the insertion of concrete floors, brick partition walls and a refurbishment of woodwork, particularly windows and skirtings throughout.

A report will be lodged with the NMRS.

Sponsor: National Trust for Scotland (Little Houses Improvement Scheme).

T Addyman 1998

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions