Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Gartartan Castle

Tower House (Medieval)

Site Name Gartartan Castle

Classification Tower House (Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Gartmore House

Canmore ID 44641

Site Number NS59NW 4

NGR NS 53016 97803

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/44641

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Stirling
  • Parish Port Of Menteith
  • Former Region Central
  • Former District Stirling
  • Former County Perthshire

Archaeology Notes

NS59NW 4 53016 97803

(NS 5302 9780) Gartartan Castle (NAT)

OS 6" map, Perthshire, 2nd ed., (1901)

NS59NW 37.00 52850 97560 Gartmore House

NS59NW 37.01 52850 97447 Walled Garden

NS59NW 37.02 52374 97455 Archway

NS59NW 37.03 52829 97394 Burial Enclosure

NS59NW 37.04 53286 98305 Gartartan Lodge

NS59NW 37.05 52832 97588 Sundial

NS59NW 11.00 53425 98213 Gartartan Home Farm, Farmhouse

NS59NW 11.01 53374 98253 Farmsteading

NS59NW 11.02 c. 534 982 Sundial

NS59NW 11.03 53347 98242 Aqueduct

Gartartan Castle: This ruinous structure was probably built by Malcolm Macfarlane of Gartavertane circa 1597 AD. The structure is of the usual Z-form. The larger round tower contains the entrance doorway and staircase. The ground floor is vaulted. Above this vault, at one end, a modern house has been built, access to which is by wooden stair in the smaller turret.

D MacGibbon and T Ross 1887-92.

Only the ruinous shell of this castle remains, over- grown with vegetation. It conforms to McGibbon and Ross's description.

Visited by OS (W D J) 15 October 1968.

NS 530 978. A late 16th century Z-plan castle with circular angle-towers.

RCAHMS 1979, visited August 1978

D MacGibbon and T Ross 1887-92

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions