Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

East Millichen

Distance Slab (Roman)

Site Name East Millichen

Classification Distance Slab (Roman)

Alternative Name(s) Antonine Wall; Balmuildy; Low Millochan; 'the Temple'

Canmore ID 44473

Site Number NS57SE 1

NGR NS 57 72

NGR Description NS c. 57 72

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/44473

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Administrative Areas

  • Council Glasgow, City Of
  • Parish New Kilpatrick (City Of Glasgow)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District City Of Glasgow
  • Former County Dunbartonshire

Archaeology Notes

NS57SE 1 c. 57 72.

A Roman distance slab was found in 1803 when forming a deep ditch on Low Millochan (now East Millichen) farm (NS 573 720) Stuart gives its findspot as about 100 yds from the Antonine Wall where it begins to ascend the height called 'The Temple', and very near the farmhouse. The fact that the slab was dug up so far S of the rampart is enough to show that it had been moved from its original position, but Stuart's description is too vague to enable the exact find spot to be located (Macdonald 1934). It is almost certain, however, that it and the Summerston slab (NS57SE 2) had probably stood beside one another, near Summerston farm (NS 578 721), each slab describing different lengths built by different legions.

The slab, which is now in Glasgow Art Gallery and Museum, (information from A S Robertson to OS, 1951) measures 4'9" x 2'5 1/2" and duplicates the design of that found at Castlehill (NS57SW 10). Its inscription reads: "IMP.CAES.T.AELIO.HADRIA.ANTONINO.AVG.PIO.P.P.VEXILLA.LEG. VI.VIC.P.F.PER.M.P.IIIDCLXVIS".

Visited by OS (W M J) 14 August 1951.

R Stuart 1852; G Macdonald 1934.

Activities

Artefact Recovery (1803)

NS57SE 1 c. 57 72.

A Roman distance slab was found in 1803 when forming a deep ditch on Low Millochan (now East Millichen) farm (NS 573 720).

Stuart gives the distance slab findspot as about 100 yds from the Antonine Wall where it begins to ascend the height called 'The Temple', and very near the farmhouse.

Field Visit (1934)

The fact that the distance slab was dug up so far S of the rampart is enough to show that it had been moved from its original position, but Stuart's description is too vague to enable the exact find spot to be located (Macdonald 1934). It is almost certain, however, that it and the Summerston slab (NS57SE 2) had probably stood beside one another, near Summerston farm (NS 578 721), each slab describing different lengths built by different legions.

Field Visit (14 August 1951)

Visited by OS (W M J) 14 August 1951.

Publication Account (1951)

The slab, which is now in Glasgow Art Gallery and Museum, (information from A S Robertson to OS, 1951) measures 4'9" x 2'5 1/2" and duplicates the design of that found at Castlehill (NS57SW 10). Its inscription reads: "IMP.CAES.T.AELIO.HADRIA.ANTONINO.AVG.PIO.P.P.VEXILLA.LEG. VI.VIC.P.F.PER.M.P.IIIDCLXVIS".

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions