Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Ballagan Castle

Castle (Medieval)

Site Name Ballagan Castle

Classification Castle (Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Campsie Castle; Strathblane Castle

Canmore ID 44454

Site Number NS57NE 8

NGR NS 5724 7960

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2024.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Stirling
  • Parish Strathblane (Stirling)
  • Former Region Central
  • Former District Stirling
  • Former County Stirlingshire

Archaeology Notes

NS57NE 8 5724 7960.

(NS 5724 7960) Castle (NR) (Site of)

OS 6" map, (1958)

Ballagan Castle (site): No remains of this building now survive apart from two small stone drums, perhaps sections of a doorway moulding, which lie in the rockery just N of the kitchen-garden at Ballagan House. The low mound between the kitchen-garden and the garage no doubt marks the actual site of the castle, which appears to have been a residence either of the Earls of Lennox (Fraser nd.) who possessed the property in early medieval times, or perhaps more probably of the Stirlings of Ballagan, who held it from 1522 to 1756 (Smith 1886).

RCAHMS 1963; W Fraser nd.; J G Smith 1886.

Erected about 1190, the castle was called Camsi Castle. About 1390 the name was changed to Strathblayn, and in 1425 it became Ballagan Castle. It was removed about 1790, when the stones were used to build the garden wall.

New Statistical Account (NSA) 1845; J Cameron 1892.

There are no traces of this castle, and the proper name was not confirmed. The low mound mentioned by the RCAHMS is merely the natural rise of the ground accentuated by a rockery. In the west wall of Ballagan House, at NS 5727 7957, is a stone bearing the date '1648'. It has been inserted, but no further information was obtained regarding it or the date of the present house.

Visited by OS (W D J) 2 May 1966.


Note (1979)

Ballagan Castle NS 572 796 NS57NE 8

The remains of Ballagan Castle were removed about 1790. A castle is said to have been constructed here in 1190.


(NSA, viii, Stirling, 82; Cameron 1892, 174-6; RCAHMS 1963, p. 218, no. 219)


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions