Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Glasgow, 2092 Pollokshaws Road, Pollokshaws West Station

Railway Station (19-20th Century)

Site Name Glasgow, 2092 Pollokshaws Road, Pollokshaws West Station

Classification Railway Station (19-20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Pollokshaws Station

Canmore ID 44347

Site Number NS56SE 81

NGR NS 55909 61356

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/44347

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Glasgow, City Of
  • Parish Eastwood (City Of Glasgow)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District City Of Glasgow
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Archaeology Notes

NS56SE 81 55909 61356

Not to be confused with Pollokshaws East Station (NS 56808 61446), for which see NS56SE 80.

For associated railway viaduct over the White Cart Water (adjacent to NE), see NS56SE 1182.

For nearby (to SW) railway bridge over the entrance to Pollok Park, see NS56SE 1183.

Station [NAT]

OS 1:10,000 map, 1989.

Pollokshaws West Station, Pollokshaws Road, bult c. 1847 for the the Glasgow, Barrhead and Neilston Direct Rly. A two-platform through station on an embankment. The up platform building is 2 storeys high, 9 bays long, of brick and sandstone construction, with the street entrance at ground floor level and the platform entrance at first floor level.

J R Hume 1974.

Pollokshaws West Station, Pollokshaws Road. Raised on an embankment, the long up-platform building, built to serve the Glasgow, Barrhead and Neilston Rly, c. 1847.

E Williamson, A Riches and M Higgs 2000.

This intermediate station on the Glasgow - Kilmarnock (main) line of the former Glasgow and South Western Rly was opened (as Pollokshaws Station) by the Glasgow, Barrhead and Neilston Direct Rly on 27 September 1848. It was renamed Pollokshaws West Station on 5 May 1952 and remains in regular use by passenger traffic; the line has been electrified.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 10 February 2006.

R V J Butt 1995.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions