Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Lewis, Dun Eorradail

Building(S) (Period Unassigned), Settlement (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Lewis, Dun Eorradail

Classification Building(S) (Period Unassigned), Settlement (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 4429

Site Number NB56SW 13

NGR NB 5426 6297

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/4429

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Western Isles
  • Parish Barvas
  • Former Region Western Isles Islands Area
  • Former District Western Isles
  • Former County Ross And Cromarty

Archaeology Notes

NB56SW 13 5426 6297.

(NB 5426 6297) Dun Eorodale (NAT)

OS 6"map, Ross-shire, 2nd ed., (1898)

"Dun-coradil" - a natural fort.

M Martin 1934.

Name collected as 'Dun Eorradail', but changed to 'Dun Eorodale' on authority of Col J Farquharson, DG, and Mr J Mathieson, OS, 1895.

"A small but high island, which is isolated only at high water. There is the site of an old building on its summit, more like the site of a shealing than a castle."

No local information.

Name Book 1852

Dun Eorradail (in English, Eordale): "a small tidal island joined at low water to the main by an Eyrr or Ore, ie. beach, and which has apparently been fortified by a wall".

F W L Thomas 1890.

Dun Eorradail is a flat-topped stack, difficult of access, measuring about 150.0m by 100.0m, separated from the mainland by a ravine and isolated at high water.

It is occupied by ten small rectangular stone-built huts with rounded corners, now heavily turfed. There are slight traces of a wall along the NE side of the island but this does not seem to have been defensive, and was probably a turf wall reinforced with stones to keep animals off the cliff.

This site is similar to NB56NW 1 and is probably a medieval settlement. There is nothing to suggest monastic associations.

Surveyed at 1/2500.

Visited by OS (R L) 18 June 1969.

Two unroofed buildings are depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Island of Lewis, Ross-shire 1853, sheet 3), but they are not shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1992).

Information from RCAHMS (AKK) 23 June 1997.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions