Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Glasgow, 25-27 Cook Street, Eglinton Engine Works

Engineering Works (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Glasgow, 25-27 Cook Street, Eglinton Engine Works

Classification Engineering Works (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) 120 Tradeston Street; 181-183 West Street; Smith Mirlees

Canmore ID 44233

Site Number NS56SE 102

NGR NS 58306 64279

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/44233

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Glasgow, City Of
  • Parish Govan (City Of Glasgow)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District City Of Glasgow
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Recording Your Heritage Online

Eglinton Engine Works, 25-27 Cook Street, c.1855

Fitting shop for A & W Smith & Co., Sugar Machine Manufacturers. Composite structural frame, originally cast-iron columns with timber beams and flooring, wrought-iron riveted replacement beams in the three-storey masonry block fronting Cook Street. Large door opposite tall gantried fitting shop, now blocked. Cook Street commemorates James Cook, the earliest sugar machine manufacturer, who used beam engines to power sugar mills in 1815. 181 West Street, single-storey brick engine house, c.1860. 183 West Street, c.1860. Brick four-storey patternmaking, fitting and fabrication shops.

Taken from "Greater Glasgow: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Sam Small, 2008. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk

Archaeology Notes

NS56SE 102 58306 64279

'...built from c.1855 for A & W Smith & Co, general engineers, and subsequently greatly extended. The 1855 block is three storeys high, 4 by 17 bay, ashlar, with margins round the windows. It has a large arched doorway, now bricked up, while some of the windows have cast-iron frames. The interior has wooden floors on cast-iron columns. The later additions include 3 wide bays of workshops, with wooden roof trusses, and a four storey, 9 bay red and white brick block of stores and workshops.'

J R Hume 1974

The company of Smith Mirlees ceased manufacturing activities in February 1988, and now works on a sub-contracting basis. The buildings ('A' listed in parts) have been sold and leased back to Smith Mirlees. The offices will remain in use by the company but the long term future of the factory itself is uncertain. On 19 May 1988 it still contained all machine tools and a skeleton staff of 6 were finishing outstanding jobs and part contracts.

Visited by RCAHMS (MKO) 19 May 1988

See Architecture (TBS photographs, 1988)

Activities

Standing Building Recording (2011)

A large engine work complex established in 1855 on Cook Street and West Street (Illus 47.1). Includes, on Cook Street, a 3-storey 4 by 17-bay ashlar fitting shop and a 3-storey former lodge. On West Street, a 1 bay 1 storey engine house.

Headland Archaeology 2011

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions