Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Glasgow, Govan, Doomster Hill

Motte (Medieval)(Possible)

Site Name Glasgow, Govan, Doomster Hill

Classification Motte (Medieval)(Possible)

Alternative Name(s) 'Tumulus'

Canmore ID 44078

Site Number NS56NE 18

NGR NS 555 658

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/44078

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2017.

Administrative Areas

  • Council Glasgow, City Of
  • Parish Govan (City Of Glasgow)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District City Of Glasgow
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Archaeology Notes

NS56NE 18 555 658

For successive excavations (NS 554 658) to the NW of the indicated location and to the E of the parish church, see NS56NE 17.

The Doomster Hill stood on the S side of the Clyde, immediately opposite the ferry-house, on a spot occupied by the buildings of Harland and Wolff's (area centred NS 5559 6580) (OS field investigator [WMJ]) - now (ie. in 1976) demolished. The OSA (1795) states that it is supposed to have been a law hill, and describes it as 17' high, 150' in diameter at the base, and 108' in diameter on top. In 1845, its summit was occupied by a reservoir for an adjacent dye works; when this was being deepened, a few planks of black oak, some small fragments of bones, and a bed of what seemed to be decayed bulrushes was found (NSA 1845) (The published authorities refer to this feature as a tumulus, presumably because of the bone fragments noted above, but an 18th century sketch (information from Glasgow Evening News, 1 February 1937, illust) depicts it as a motte-like earthwork, with a ditch around its base.)

Visited by OS (W M J), 28 August 1951.

Statistical Account (OSA) 1795; New Statistical Account (NSA) 1845; J C Roger 1859

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions