Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Lewis, Garrabost Brickworks

Brickworks (Period Unassigned), Tile Works (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Lewis, Garrabost Brickworks

Classification Brickworks (Period Unassigned), Tile Works (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Stornoway Brickworks; Garrabost Brick And Tile Works

Canmore ID 4399

Site Number NB53SW 8

NGR NB 50700 33177

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/4399

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Western Isles
  • Parish Stornoway
  • Former Region Western Isles Islands Area
  • Former District Western Isles
  • Former County Ross And Cromarty

Recording Your Heritage Online

Garrabost Parish Church, c.1910. Commodious, piendroofed hall matching those at Barvas and Cross, formerly the United Free Church Brickworks, founded mid-19th century by Sir James Matheson, a red brick building now with corrugated iron roof, converted to a byre (kilns all demolished). Like Matheson's chemical works, the enterprise was ultimately a failure. Meal Mill, 1893 Mill building of locally quarried stone, with kiln and stables of Garrabost brick. The mill, which ceased fulltime operation in 1956, has an overshot wheel formerly powered by water from Allt-nan-Gall (no longer working), and what is believed to be the only surviving example of a Simplex Oil Engine, dating from 1908, and still operational. The meal mill was restored to full working order in 1988-90 and produces barley flour used by the local bakery.

Taken from "Western Seaboard: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Mary Miers, 2008. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk

Archaeology Notes

NB53SW 8 5085 3318

(Location cited as NB 508 331). Brickworks, Garrabost, mid 19th century. Founded by Sir James Matheson. A onwe-storey and attic, red-brick building with corrugated-iron roof, now a byre. Nearby are open-cast clay workings.

J R Hume 1977.

Garrabost Brick and Tile Works. This works operated from 1844 to before 1897, and its site has now been cleared.

G Douglas and M Oglethorpe 1993, visited 1981.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions