Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Ballagioch

Cairn (Prehistoric)

Site Name Ballagioch

Classification Cairn (Prehistoric)

Alternative Name(s) Ballageich Hill

Canmore ID 43978

Site Number NS55SW 2

NGR NS 53747 50048

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/43978

Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2024.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council East Renfrewshire
  • Parish Eaglesham
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Eastwood
  • Former County Renfrewshire

Archaeology Notes

NS55SW 2 NS 53747 50048

(NS 5374 5005) Cairn (NR)

OS 25" map, (1968)

NS 537 501. Mound, Ballagioch Hill.

Information from annotated plan by RCAHMS, 1954.

A much-mutilated, grass-covered, stony mound situated on a spur of Ballagioch Hill. The site commands an extensive view on all sides except the W. The mound, sub-circular, measures 22.0m N-S by 24.0m and has a maximum height of 1.0m on the E side. In the SE segment there is a small, oval hollow, probably a modern excavation. The remainder of the mound is mutilated by excavation and stone removal, but the quantity of stone remaining suggests a cairn.

Surveyed at 1:2500.

Visited by OS (W D J) 23 November 1964.

This site was visited in the course of fieldwork by Dr. T.C. Welsh.

For further details see MS/1508 (Welsh 1983).

This cairn, which is situated on a spur at the SE end of Ballagioch Hill, measures up to 21m in diameter and 1.1m in height. The flat-topped mound has been disturbed by quarrying, particularly on the S and W.

Visited by RCAHMS (PMCK) 19 July 2007.

Activities

Field Visit (6 July 1954)

Mound, Ballagioch Hill.

This mound is situated a quarter of a mile WNW of Greenfield farmhouse on the eastern extremity of the level summit-plateau of Ballagioch Hill at a height of a little over 1,000 feet OD. It measures about 70 feet in diameter and stands to a maximum height of 4 feet above ground level. A few boulders which may represent the remains of a kerb or revetment protrude through the turf at widely-spaced intervals on the perimeter, and what appears to be a small quarry lies in the SE quadrant. The surface of the mound is uneven and has been used in modern times as the site for bonfires.

The structure is probably a denuded cairn, but the possibility that it might be the ruin of a circular stone fort cannot be ruled out.

Visited by RCAHMS (RWF) 6 July 1954.

Reference (1957)

This site is noted in the ‘List of monuments discovered during the survey of marginal land (1951-5)’ (RCAHMS 1957, xiv-xviii).

Information from RCAHMS (GFG), 24 October 2012.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions