Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Lewis, Garrabost, St Cowstan's Chapel

Chapel (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Lewis, Garrabost, St Cowstan's Chapel

Classification Chapel (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 4395

Site Number NB53SW 4

NGR NB 5163 3355

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/4395

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Administrative Areas

  • Council Western Isles
  • Parish Stornoway
  • Former Region Western Isles Islands Area
  • Former District Western Isles
  • Former County Ross And Cromarty

Archaeology Notes

NB53SW 4 5163 3355

(NB 516 335) St. Cowstan's Chapel (NR) (Site of)

OS 6" map, Ross-shire, 2nd ed., (1898)

Martin lists the church of 'Garbost' as 'St. Cutchou' but also refers to it as 'St. Cowsten's'.

M Martin 1934.

About 40 years ago the remaining walls of this ancient edifice were completely levelled by the people of this neighbourhood, who used the stones for building the walls of huts etc. At present there is not the smallest vestige of anything on the ground.

Name Book 1848.

St. Cowstan's Chapel, listed as site.

RCAHMS 1928.

The whole of this area is now divided up into small plots by barbed wire fences: not checked.

Visited by OS (A L F R), Assistant Archaeology Officer, 23 April 1964.

This chapel site was included in a research project to identify the chapel sites of Lewis and surrounding islands. The Lewis Coastal Chapel-sites survey recorded 37 such sites.

R Barrowman 2005.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions