Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Deaconsbank Golf Course

Cup And Ring Marked Rock (Prehistoric), Millstone Quarry (Post Medieval)

Site Name Deaconsbank Golf Course

Classification Cup And Ring Marked Rock (Prehistoric), Millstone Quarry (Post Medieval)

Canmore ID 43908

Site Number NS55NW 8

NGR NS 5458 5779

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/43908

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council East Renfrewshire
  • Parish Mearns
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Eastwood
  • Former County Renfrewshire

Archaeology Notes

NS55NW 8 5458 5779

(NS 5458 5778) Cup and Ring marked Rock (NR)

OS 1:10,000 map, (1974)

A sandstone outcrop, much of which has been quarried a few yards east of dovecot NS55NW 9, has traces of concentric rings on its west edge, while 7 1/2ft east is a fairly well preserved cup with two encircling rings.

A D Lacaille 1927.

This outcrop, on a green at Deaconsbank Golf Course, has traces of 2 concentric rings near its west edge; the "cup with two encircling rings 7 1/2ft east", though photographed in 1954 (OS {J F C}) but not seen in 1965 (Morris 1967) is not visible and must now be turfed over.

R W B Morris 1967; Visited by OS (W D J) 22 November 1971 and (J F C) 26 March 1954.

Welsh (information contained in letter from T C Welsh to OS, 7 September 1977) notes that the cup and double ring noted by Lacaille (1927) is now very faint and partly overgrown by gorse. A second cup and double ring; surviving only as a semicircle is situated on the edge of the rock basin 1m from the west edge of the outcrop, 2.3m from the north edge, and about 3.5m from the south edge. The outer ring is 28cms in diameter, the inner, about 12cms diameter. (This could be the mark noted by OS) Presumably other marks have been destroyed by quarrying.

(For further details see MS/1508).

T C Welsh and R W B Morris 1977.

This partly tree-grown cup-and-ring marked rock outcrop is situated at the southern end of Deaconsbank Golf Course, about 12m ESE of the dovecot NS55NW 9. The upper surface of the outcrop has been quarried for millstones and five circular depressions, each measuring about 1m in diameter, are visible, all bearing scars where wedges have been driven in around their edges. On the date of visit only two concentric ring-marks close to the W edge of the outcrop were visible.

Visited by RCAHMS (AGCH), 7 June 2007.

Activities

Field Visit (7 June 2007)

This partly tree-grown cup-and-ring marked rock outcrop is situated at the southern end of Deaconsbank Golf Course, about 12m ESE of the dovecot NS55NW 9. The upper surface of the outcrop has been quarried for millstones and five circular depressions, each measuring about 1m in diameter, are visible, all bearing scars where wedges have been driven in around their edges. On the date of visit only two concentric ring-marks close to the W edge of the outcrop were visible.

Visited by RCAHMS (AGCH), 7 June 2007.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions