Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Busby, The Peel

Tower House (Medieval)

Site Name Busby, The Peel

Classification Tower House (Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) B766

Canmore ID 43805

Site Number NS55NE 14

NGR NS 59313 56121

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/43805

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council South Lanarkshire
  • Parish East Kilbride (South Lanarkshire)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District East Kilbride
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Archaeology Notes

NS55NE 14 59313 56121.

(NS 59313 56121) The Peel (NR)

OS 1:10,000 map, (1974)

The Peel is an example of a house grown from a simple peel-tower of probably the early 16th century. This now forms the NE corner of the building, with a taller stair-tower of probably the early 17th century attached to the E and more modern wings extending S and W. The original tower, of modest size, is complete to parapet level, above which an over-sailing modern roof detracts from the authentic aspect. It is four storeys high. Elsewhere the masonry is harled. It is still occupied and in good condition.

N Tranter 1962-70; Visited by OS (JFC) 18 March 1955.

Activities

Photographic Record (1885)

Photographs in album titled 'Views in Busby, East-Kilbride, Carmunnock, Mearns, Eaglesham, and their vicinity 1885'

Photographic Record (1896)

Photograph album with views from the Scottish Borders in 1896 including Peebles

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions