Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Bruntwood

Polished Axehead(S) (Stone), Spindle Whorl(S)

Site Name Bruntwood

Classification Polished Axehead(S) (Stone), Spindle Whorl(S)

Canmore ID 43723

Site Number NS53SW 2

NGR NS 509 320

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/43723

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council East Ayrshire
  • Parish Galston
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Kilmarnock And Loudoun
  • Former County Ayrshire

Archaeology Notes

NS53SW 2 509 320.

A stone whorl, 1 5/8 ins. in diameter, was found in the earth above the rock of Cowgrove Quarry. It is in the possession of Peter Wright of Bruntwood Mains (NS 509 320).

J Smith 1895

NS 5111 3401 or NS 5108 3379: Mr J A Gibson (of Cowgrove) states that prior to 1900, only two whinstone squarries were open on Cowgrove farm, and indicated their position, marked by hollows in a field. The quarry at NS 5111 3401 is likely to be that in which the whorl was found, as a cist was found there (NS53SW 1).

Mr P Wright (of Brentwood Mains) states that his grandfather's collection went to the Dick Institute Museum, Kilmarnock, where there are a number of unidentified whorls.

Visited by OS (JLD) 22 August 1956

The archaeological items of the Wright collection, donated to the Dick Institute Museum in 1910, comprise three whorls (Accession nos: BM 448 - 450) and two polished stone axes (BM 268 - 9). No additional information is given and none of the objects is provenanced.

Visited by OS (JRL) 25 June 1982

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions