Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Mauchline, Loan Green, Martyr's Monument

Commemorative Monument (Period Unassigned), Obelisk (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Mauchline, Loan Green, Martyr's Monument

Classification Commemorative Monument (Period Unassigned), Obelisk (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Martyr's Grave; Memorial

Canmore ID 43573

Site Number NS52NW 7

NGR NS 50082 27351

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/43573

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council East Ayrshire
  • Parish Mauchline
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Cumnock And Doon Valley
  • Former County Ayrshire

Archaeology Notes

NS52NW 7 50082 27351

(NS 5008 2736) Martyrs' Grave (NAT) (Gillies, Bryce, Young, Feddison and Brunning) (NAT)

OS 25" map (1856)

A large flat stone, 12ft by 6ft, renewed in 1830, marks the grave of five martyrs who were hanged here on the 6th May 1685. They were buried in a trench near the gallows. The inscription on the stone reads:

"Here lies the bodies of Peter Gillies, John Bryce, Thomas Young, William Fiddison, and John Bruning who were Apprehended and Hanged Without Trial at Mauchline, Anno 1685, according to the then Wicked's Laws for their Adhearance to the Covenanted Work of Reformation Rev xii II. Bloody Dumbarton, Douglas and Dundee Moved by the Devil and the Laird of Lee, Dragged these five men to Death with gun and suord, Not Suffering them to Pray nor Read God's Word. Ouning the Work of God was all their Crime. The Eighty Five Was a Saint Killing Time."

The old decayed tombstone from which the above inscription is copied lies below.

J Gibson 1881; J H Thomson 1903

The stone described by Gibson was replaced in 1885 by an obelisk. The original stone is now inserted a few yards away facing the back of the monument.

J T Gibb 1911

The railed obelisk, about 4m high, is situated beside a pathway at NS 5008 2734, and the original stone is placed some 13 m away in the wall of a school outbuilding at NS 5008 2736. An inscription on the obelisk states that it is the third memorial stone on the site, the second being a copy of the original. This second stone lies beneath the obelisk.

Visited by OS (JRL) 7 October 1981

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions