Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Paisley, Blackhall Aqueduct

Aqueduct (Period Unassigned), Railway Bridge (19-20th Century)

Site Name Paisley, Blackhall Aqueduct

Classification Aqueduct (Period Unassigned), Railway Bridge (19-20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Glasgow, Paisley And Johnstone Canal; White Cart Water; Blackhall Railway Bridge; Blackhall Bridge

Canmore ID 43178

Site Number NS46SE 50

NGR NS 49406 63374

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/43178

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Renfrewshire
  • Parish Paisley (Renfrew)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Renfrew
  • Former County Renfrewshire

Archaeology Notes

NS46SE 50 49406 63374

Location formerly cited as NS 49403 63368.

This 'elegant light aqueduct,' 240 feet in length and 30 feet in height, took the canal over the White Cart Water. It was in existence by the time the canal was opened through to Glasgow in 1811.

There was a wharf, utilised by the Gleniffer Soap Company, which was still in existence in 1881.

J Lindsay 1968.

(Location cited as NS 494 634). Aqueduct, built c. 1810 for the Glasgow, Paisley & Ardrossan Canal, engineer John Rennie. A single, dressed-stone segmental arch, dated 1810, converted to a railway bridge in 1885.

J R Hume 1976.

This aqueduct, taking the canal over the White Cart Water, is clearly visible on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Renfrewshire 1864, sheet xii). It carries the railway, which followed much of the line of the former canal, on the 2nd edition of the OS 6-inch map (Renfrewshire 1898, sheet xiiNE) and on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1985). On the OS Basic Scale raster map (ND) it traverses the cycle path which has superseded the railway.

The location of the wharf cannot be pinpointed on the maps.

Information from RCAHMS (MD) 4 April 2002.

This bridge formerly carried the Paisley (Canal Station) line of the Glasgow and South Western Rly over the White Cart Water on the SE side of the town of Paisley (NS46SE 48) and to the E of Paisley (Canal) Station (NS46SE 611). This line is apparently no longer in regular use by passenger traffic.

The location assigned to this record defines the apparent midpoint of the over-river span. The available map evidence indicates that the structure extends from NS c. 49416 63395 to NS c. 49394 63348.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 15 June 2006.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions