Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Paisley, Ferguslie Castle

Castle (Medieval)

Site Name Paisley, Ferguslie Castle

Classification Castle (Medieval)

Canmore ID 43168

Site Number NS46SE 41

NGR NS 467 637

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/43168

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Renfrewshire
  • Parish Paisley (Renfrew)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Renfrew
  • Former County Renfrewshire

Archaeology Notes

NS46SE 41 467 637.

Ferguslie was granted in 1544 by the Abbot of Paisley to John Hamilton. The remains of the old Castle of Ferguslie are still to be traced on a property lately purchased by W Barr of Drums. (Ferguslie House, a mansion, was owned by J Wilson in 1837; presumably the old castle stood nearby on an adjacent property on, or near to, the present Ferguslie Gardens: NS 467 637).

New Statistical Account (NSA) 1845

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions