Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Inchinnan

Preceptory (medieval)

Site Name Inchinnan

Classification Preceptory (medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Northbar House, Preceptory Of Greenend Of The Knights Templar And Knights Of St John

Canmore ID 43093

Site Number NS46NE 5

NGR NS 4809 6927

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/43093

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2016.

Administrative Areas

  • Council Renfrewshire
  • Parish Inchinnan
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Renfrew
  • Former County Renfrewshire

Archaeology Notes

NS46NE 5 4809 6927

See also NS46NE 3.

The Knights Templar, who had considerable grants of land in Inchinnan, had all their lands within Renfrewshire erected into a Regality called the Regality of Greenend.

C Crawfurd and W Semple 1782; Orig Paroch Scot 1850.

Northbar House (NS46NE 3: NS 4809 6927) was built on the site of the Preceptory of Greenend of the Knights Templar and Knights of St John. There can be little doubt that some of the stones of the preceptory were incorporated in the new building.

R McClelland 1905

The numerous references to alleged houses of Templars in Scotland are exaggerated accounts of what were merely Temple lands such as were found in many parts of the country, or in some cases, of appropriated churches. Inchinnan parish church was held by the Templars and afterwards by the Hospitallers.

D E Easson 1957

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions