Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Kilmaurs, Lady's Well

Well (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Kilmaurs, Lady's Well

Classification Well (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 42971

Site Number NS44SW 6

NGR NS 4144 4063

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/42971

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council East Ayrshire
  • Parish Kilmaurs (Kilmarnock And Loudoun)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Kilmarnock And Loudoun
  • Former County Ayrshire

Archaeology Notes

NS44SW 6 4144 4063.

(NS 4144 4063) Lady's Well (NR)

OS 6" map (1968)

The "Lady's Well" is an old well, arched over, which provided the water supply for the buildings associated with the collegiate church (NS44SW 7).

D McNaught 1912

The "Lady's Well" is a rectangular compartment of ashlar masonry, 2.5m in length, 1.1m wide at the opening, and 1.4m high. It is built into the bank, a short distance above the stream, and has been partly restored with a concrete roof which slopes gradually downwards from the entrance to the rear. The well is filled with water. The masonry is comparable with that of the nearby dovecot (NS44SW 5), indicating a possible 17th century date of construction.

Visited by OS (JLD) 31 July 1956

No change to previous field report.

Visited by OS (EGC) 12 February 1962

As described. The drystone construction of the well-head could be of relatively late date, built with debris from the nearby ruinous tower (now site of - NS44SW 15).

Visited by OS (JRL) 24 August 1982

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions