Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Dunlop, Clandeboye Schoolhouse

School (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Dunlop, Clandeboye Schoolhouse

Classification School (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Parish Church; Parish Hall

Canmore ID 42916

Site Number NS44NW 4

NGR NS 40489 49397

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/42916

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council East Ayrshire
  • Parish Dunlop
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Kilmarnock And Loudoun
  • Former County Ayrshire

Architecture Notes

(NS 4048 4938) A schoolhouse, given to Dunlop parish by James, Viscount Clandeboye in 1641 is situated on the E side of the graveyard near the church gate. The school, superseded by another built in 1837, was a two-storeyed building, with an inscription, now defaced, giving the date and endowment. In 1924, the building was restored, and converted into the present church hall. The outside stone stair was removed, and an extension added.

J F Bayne 1935

This building, still in use as the church hall, is as described. The single storey, modern extenstion, on the N wall is dated 1925 above the porch. A burial vault (NS44NW 3) abuts the W wall.

Visited by OS (DS) 14 August 1956

No change; in good repair.

Visited by OS (JRL) 25 October 1982

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions