Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Dunlop, Clandeboye Vault

Mausoleum (17th Century)

Site Name Dunlop, Clandeboye Vault

Classification Mausoleum (17th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Parish Church; Churchyard; Hans Hamilton's Tomb

Canmore ID 42911

Site Number NS44NW 3

NGR NS 40486 49398

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/42911

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council East Ayrshire
  • Parish Dunlop
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Kilmarnock And Loudoun
  • Former County Ayrshire

Archaeology Notes

NS44NW 3 4048 4938

(NS 4048 4938) Vault (NR)

OS 6" map (1970)

Architecture Notes

A vault, dated 1641, abuts the old Clandeboye schoolhouse. Built of ashlar, it measures 12ft by 10ft and 11ft in height, being roofed with high, pitched flagstones. It was erected by James, Viscount Clandeboye and contains the tomb of his father, Hans Hamilton, the first Protestant minister of Dunlop. In 1645, the vault was described as being in a state of neglect and decay, but it has since been renovated at intervals, notably in 1849 and 1929.

J F Bayne 1935

The Clandeboye vault is as described. The datestone is no longer legible.

Visited by OS (DS) 14 August 1956

As described, and in reasonable repair. The vault is locked, but the iron grille door shows a simple, vaulted interior with an ornate, carved figure memorial at its E end.

Visited by OS (JRL) 25 October 1982

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions