Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Pennyvenie Colliery (Nos. 2, 3 And 7)

Colliery (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Pennyvenie Colliery (Nos. 2, 3 And 7)

Classification Colliery (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Dalmellington, Waterside Ironworks Complex

Canmore ID 42570

Site Number NS40NE 26

NGR NS 4874 0690

NGR Description Centred NS 4874 0690

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/42570

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council East Ayrshire
  • Parish Dalmellington
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Cumnock And Doon Valley
  • Former County Ayrshire

Archaeology Notes

NS40NE 26.00 centred 4874 0690

(centred on colliery buildings)

Mine [NAT]

OS 1:10,000 map, 1978.

NS40NE 26.01 495 067 coal mine

For Dalmellington, Waterside Ironworks (NS 442 083) and related monuments, see NS40NW 15.00.

For Pennyvenie No. 5 colliery (NS 4883 0708), see NS40NE 107.

For Pennyvenie No. 4 colliery (centred NS 5016 0710), see NS50NW 8.

Pennyvenie Colliery Baths, Ayrshire. The baths building is L-shaped to suit the shape of the site. The clean and pit locker rooms forming a right angle with the bath house, attendant's room and first aid room at the rear of the clean locker room. The pit entrance, boot-greasing and carorifier rooms are on the extreme right of the drawing (see SC 1073897) are adjacent to the colliery yard. The water supply will be drawn from a reservoir to be formed in the neighbouring hills. Building is about to commence. Accommodation: 600 men. Cost: £9,648 (equivalent to £16/2 shillings per man accommodated). Architect: J A Dempster, ARIBA, Miners' Welfare Committee.

Miners' Welfare Fund, 1935.

Pennyvenie Colliery Baths, Ayrshire (see SC 1074140). Opened in October 1936, the scheme provides accommodation for 600 men.

Miners' Welfare Fund, 1937.

PENNYVENIE Colliery (2, 3 and 7)

Location: Dalmellington

Previous Owners: Dalmellington Iron Company Limited, Bairds & Dalmellington Limited from 1931

Types of Coal: House, Gas, Manufacturing, and Steam

Sinking/Production Commenced: 1872, No. 7 in 1945

Year Closed: 1978

Average Workforce: 581

Peak Workforce: 725

Peak Year: 1961

Shaft/Mine Details: 3 shafts, 161m (No. 2) and 70m (No. 3), no details for No. 7.

Details in 1948: Output 450 tons per day, 124,000 tons per annum, longwall advancing working. 310 employees. 1 screen for dry coal, washing at Dunaskin. Baths (1934, for 600 men, including 54 shower cubicles), but no canteen, pit snacks being supplied as required from outside. Steam and electricity, none from public supply. Report dated 07-08-1948.

M K Oglethorpe 2006.

Activities

Field Walking (July 2007 - July 2008)

CFA produced an annex for the Environmental Statement considering the likely effects of the South West Scotland Project (the SWS Project) on cultural heritage assets.

Reconnaissance field survey, comprising non-intrusive walkover surveys, was conducted within the narrow corridor study areas for each connection comprising the SWS Project. The survey work was undertaken between July 2007 and July 2008.

Areas of dense commercial forestry and active opencast coal mining were not surveyed in detail due to access difficulties and restrictions, and the baseline conditions of features identified within these areas during the desk-based studies were not established. Any uncertainty as a consequence of this has been acknowledged in the assessments.

Identified sites were recorded on pro-forma monument recording forms, including a sketch plan where applicable, and by digital photography, and were located using GPS readings. These archive materials will be offered to bodies holding the relevant Sites and Monuments Records.

Scottish Power

CFA Archaeology

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions