Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Laight Castle

Earthwork(S) (Period Unassigned), Tower House (Medieval)

Site Name Laight Castle

Classification Earthwork(S) (Period Unassigned), Tower House (Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Laight Alpine Castle; Laght Alpine Castle

Canmore ID 42553

Site Number NS40NE 1

NGR NS 45001 08862

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/42553

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council East Ayrshire
  • Parish Dalmellington
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Cumnock And Doon Valley
  • Former County Ayrshire

Archaeology Notes

NS40NE 1 45001 08862

(NS 4501 0885) Laight Castle (NR) (Remains of)

OS 6" map (1958)

The remains of Laight or Laght Alpine (NSA 1845, R Houston) Castle, a rectangular tower standing on a steep sided spur isolated by a ditch on the east. The walls of the tower are turf-covered, 1.2m in max height, and 2m to 4m in width. They measure 15m long on the north, 8m on the east and 11m on the south. The course of an enceinte wall can be traced on the slopes of the spur. The ditch is 60m long, 2.7m in max depth and is crossed near its centre by a causeway 3.5m wide.

Surveyed at 1:2500.

Visited by OS (JLD) 10 November 1959

Laight Alpin Castle has several defence lines. The latest rampart overlies occupation earth from which medieval pottery was recovered. The extant foundation is of a rectangular tower house with a semi-circular foundation of a staircase tower.

W Lonie and F Newall 1974

Laight Castle remains as described in the previous field report. Apart from the ditch on the E and the steep cliffs, on the other three sides there are no defences to be seen. The foundations of a staircase tower are not readily apparent on the ground although there are the remains of a small rectangular structure 6.0m E-W by 5.0m on the N side of the building.

Surveyed at 1:10 000.

Visited by OS (BS) 26 May 1976

The site is well-preserved, although there has been some river erosion on the N side.

Visited by OS (MJF) 18 September 1980

Visible on CUCAP aerial photographs taken in 1977.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions