Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Camstraddan House

Country House (Period Unassigned), Sundial (Period Unassigned), Tower House (Medieval), Wall (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Camstraddan House

Classification Country House (Period Unassigned), Sundial (Period Unassigned), Tower House (Medieval), Wall (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Luss; Loch Lomond; Camstradden House With Sundial, Boundary Wall And Gatepiers

Canmore ID 42544

Site Number NS39SE 5

NGR NS 35976 92129

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/42544

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Argyll And Bute
  • Parish Luss
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Dumbarton
  • Former County Dunbartonshire

Archaeology Notes

NS39SE 5.00 35976 92129

NS39SE 5.01 NS 3576 9205 lodge and gate piers

(NS 3598 9212) The tower of Camstraddan has long since disappeared, and has been replaced by a modern mansion built in 1739. An addition to the old tower is mentioned in 1684. Whether the original tower occupied the same site as the pressent mansion, or is the one referred to by Camden on an island in the bay, is unknown. (See Dunbar 11 SW8).

W Fraser 1869

No trace of the tower or any older building could be seen in the present Camstradden House. No information was found regarding the date of erection of the present house, but it appears to be fairly modern.

Visited by OS (WDJ) 18 January 1963

NS 359 921. Camstraddan House may occupy the site of a building referred to in 1684 as 'the old tower'.

RCAHMS 1978

W Fraser 1869

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions