Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Port Glasgow, Chapelton, Chapel

Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Chapel (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Port Glasgow, Chapelton, Chapel

Classification Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Chapel (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) 'Chapelton Farm'

Canmore ID 42451

Site Number NS37SW 6

NGR NS 312 745

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/42451

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Inverclyde
  • Parish Greenock
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Inverclyde
  • Former County Renfrewshire

Archaeology Notes

NS37SW 6 312 745.

A chapel stood at the extremity of what is now the E boundary of the East Parish, which must have been the principal cemetery, for many grave stones were found sunk a spade deep when the land was used for a kitchen garden by the late Mr King. The land is part of Chapelton farm, on Greenock estate. The chapel is believed to have been destroyed at the time of the Reformation.

D Weir 1829

Chapelton farm has long been broken up, although the old farmhouse can still be located at NS 3122 7457; it is a private residence. Mr Pollock, the present tenant, has no knowledge of this chapel. Further local enquiries failed to supply any additional information.

Visited by OS (JD) 25 July 1955.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions