Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

East Kersland

Manor House (Medieval)

Site Name East Kersland

Classification Manor House (Medieval)

Canmore ID 42218

Site Number NS35SW 4

NGR NS 3065 5083

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/42218

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council North Ayrshire
  • Parish Dalry (Cunninghame)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Cunninghame
  • Former County Ayrshire

Archaeology Notes

NS35SW 4 3065 5083.

(NS 3065 5083) Kersland (NR) (Ruin)

OS 6" map (1911)

On the Easter Mains stood the ancient mansion of Kersland which was almost entirely pulled down by the feuar. Part of the vaulted basement is still entire.

J Paterson 1847

To the W of East Kersland is a part of what was formerly the manor house of Kersland. The walls are almost 4ft thick, and vaulted, and now form part of the offices attached to Kersland. Over the door of the house is a stone bearing the arms of the Ker family, "Daniel Ker Kersland - 1604". This stone was removed from the old building.

Name Book 1856

The remains of Kersland manor house are incorporated in the present building and consist of two barrel vaults with walls 8ft thick. The date stone referred to has been touched-up with paint.

Visited by OS (DS) 4 September 1956

No change to previous field report.

Visited by OS (RDL) 12 May 1964

No change.

Visited by OS (JRL) 13 December 1982

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions