Tower House (Medieval)
- Council Renfrewshire
- Parish Lochwinnoch
- Former Region Strathclyde
- Former District Renfrew
- Former County Renfrewshire
NS35NE 10 3980 5646.
(NS 3980 5646) Auchenbathie Tower (NR) (remains of)
OS 6" map (1969)
Auchenbathie Tower measures 29ft by 10ft to 12ft, but it is probable that only part of the side walls, remains; it stands to a maximum height of 17ft. A small building within the old walls is used as an outhouse for cattle (NSA 1845). It was owned y the Wallaces of Elderslie in 1398 (Paisley Directory).
The walls are continous though not in many places more than 4ft to 5ft high; a small portion of the wall has been removed from the side next to the farmhouse; the outhouse mentioned in the NSA has been partly removed.
Name Book 1856
The building is ruinous and of very irregular form. The S wall has modern brickwork built into it. No further information was obtained during field investigation.
Visited by OS (JHO) 7 March 1951
The old walls are still clearly seen, standing to a height of about 1 1/2ft.
Visited by OS Reviser (OK) 21 April 1966.