Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Aiket Castle

Lairds House (Period Unassigned), Tower House (Medieval)

Site Name Aiket Castle

Classification Lairds House (Period Unassigned), Tower House (Medieval)

Canmore ID 42014

Site Number NS34NE 1

NGR NS 3878 4875

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/42014

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council East Ayrshire
  • Parish Dunlop
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Kilmarnock And Loudoun
  • Former County Ayrshire

Summary Record (2 March 2012)

Tower house rebuilt from below first floor level upwards in the 1970's.

RCAHMS (CAJS) 2012.

Archaeology Notes

NS34NE 1 3878 4875.

NS34NE 1.01 NS 3874 4875 Grain Mill

NS34NE 1.02 NS 3904 4891 Sawmill

(NS 3878 4875) Aiket Castle (NR)

OS 6" map (1970)

Aiket Castle (Tranter; Bayne) or Aiket House (MacGibbon and Ross; SDD) is of two periods. Its W half was a free-standing tower of probable 16th century date, added to in the late 17th century to form an oblong laird's house. The bonding between the two works is plain on the S front. It occupies a defensive position and Paterson states that it was formerly surrounded by a moat. No trace of this was seen in 1956 when visited by the OS (DS) on 2 August 1956.

The original tower has walls 7ft thick at base, and a vaulted basement. The later part is also vaulted, the walls are less thick. Formerly four storeys high, it ws reduced to three storeys in the mid-19th century. Though inhabited in 1935 (J F Bayne 1935), and roofed in 1956 it is noted in 1962 as roofless and in ruins.

J Paterson 1847; D MacGibbon and T Ross 1892; SDD List 1962; N Tranter 1965

Aiket Castle has been completely restored as a private dwelling and is in excellent repair. A pediment has been recently inscribed AC KC 149 and RC KC 1976 (presumably the date of restoration). A single storey building which abuts the E side of the house has a linter dated 1734. There is no indication of a former moat, although there is natural low-lying ground on the NW.

Visited by OS (JRL) 18 October 1982.

Architecture Notes

This L-plan castle comprises an extended tower-house block, with a linear block attached to the W (RCAHMSAP 2003), the layout of which is shown on the OS 1:10,000 map (1970). A conservatory is attached to the W.

Activities

Photographic Survey (13 August 2009)

Photographed on behalf of the Buildings of Scotland Ayrshire publication.

RCAHMS (CAJS) 2012.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions