Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Law Hill, Symington

Motte (Medieval)

Site Name Law Hill, Symington

Classification Motte (Medieval)

Canmore ID 41988

Site Number NS33SE 8

NGR NS 382 316

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/41988

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council South Ayrshire
  • Parish Symington (Kyle And Carrick)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Kyle And Carrick
  • Former County Ayrshire

Archaeology Notes

NS33SE 8 c.382 316.

A round mound called the Law Hill, which was partly natural and partly artificial, formerly stood at the foot of Symington Village. It was levelled by the proprietor when making improvements; several iron arrowheads and horn combs were found. They are in the possession of W Boyd of Townend and the Rev Mr Wharrie.

NSA 1845 (J Dunlop)

NS 382 316. No traces of this mound can be seen, and its precise location was not ascertained. The area of the site was assumed from the name "Lawhill" (applied to cottages). The present location of the finds is not known.

Visited by OS (JLD) 28 May 1954

Listed as the site of a possible motte.

E J Talbot 1974

Symington was the fee of Simon Loccard (Lockhart) under Walter Stewart (about 1136-77), the name 'Symington' representing an original 'Simundestun'. A fee held here or in Craigie by Rober Croe in the time of the later Walter Stewart (1204-41) (cf NS33SE 70).

G W S Barrow 1973

No further information.

Visited by OS (JRL) 20 May 1982

There are no visible remains of a round mound, probably a motte, which formerly stood on the NW side of Symington village. It is said to have been, 'partly natural and partly artificial' and when it was levelled during the early 19th century 'those employed in doing so, found at no great depth from the surface, several arrow-heads, made of iron, most

of them barbed and very crudely constructed. They also found combs made of horn, in a pretty good state of preservation.'

In the 12th century Symington was probably the fief of Simon Lockhart.

NSA 1845; J Paterson 1863-6; J Smith 1895; W J Dillon 1954, 1957; E Talbot 1974; G W S Barrow 1980; G Stell 1985; RCAHMS 1985, visited (IMS) April 1985

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions