Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Irvine, Stanecastle Road, Stane Castle

Tower House (Medieval)

Site Name Irvine, Stanecastle Road, Stane Castle

Classification Tower House (Medieval)

Canmore ID 41924

Site Number NS33NW 2

NGR NS 33759 39975

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/41924

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Administrative Areas

  • Council North Ayrshire
  • Parish Irvine
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Cunninghame
  • Former County Ayrshire

Archaeology Notes

NS33NW 2 33759 39975

(NS 33759 39975) Stane Castle (NR) (remains of)

OS 6" map (1968)

Stane Castle, now roofless and neglected, is a small free-standing tower of early 16th century date, almost square on plan. It was probably repaired about 1750 when large Gothic windows were opened in each wall. The castle rises four storeys to a corbelled parapet, the floors have fallen in. No internal features remain, but the basement has been vaulted and a turnpike stair has risen in the thickness of the NE angle. The castle belongs to the Earl of Eglinton. The lands of Stane are mentioned in 1417.

D MacGibbon and T Ross 1892; N Tranter 1965

When seen in 1954, Stane Castle, which measured 7.5m by 10.0m was generally as described. In 1960, it had been repointed and was in a sound condition, except for some malicious damage to the W end of the S wall at ground level, where an opening about 2ft in circumference had been made in the wall.

Visited by OS (JD) 26 May 1954 and Reviser 8 August 1960

As described, and in reasonable repair. There is a modern stone-built structure central to the roof area. There is no access to the interior.

Visited by OS (JRL), 8 June 1982.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions