Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

St Quivox, St Quivox Parish Church

Church (Period Unassigned)

Site Name St Quivox, St Quivox Parish Church

Classification Church (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 41725

Site Number NS32SE 5

NGR NS 37513 24064

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/41725

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council South Ayrshire
  • Parish Ayr
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Kyle And Carrick
  • Former County Ayrshire

Archaeology Notes

NS32SE 5.00 37513 24064

NS32SE 5.01 37539 24063 Churchyard

(NS 3751 2406) Parish church of St. Quivox: repaired in 1767 when a new aisle was added; 17th century bellcote. The core of the building is said to be medieval.

SDD List 1963

St Quivox is "parochia St Kevoce" in 1547 "...St Kevokis" in 1591. The saint commemorated is Mo Choemoc of Liath Mor in Tipperary, who died in 636.

W J Watson 1926

As described; Church of Scotland, in current use. There is no medieval work visible.

Visited by OS (JRL) 4 November 1980

This T-plan church stand within its walled burial-ground and occupies a prominent position in the village of St Quivox. It is rectangular on plan (18.85m by 5.9m within walls 1m thick) and gable ended; although the visible fabric is largely of 17th century date (with 18th-19th century additions on the N), the building may embody its medieval predecessor. A weathered panel in the S wall bears the date 15()8.

About 1767 the Oswald burial-aisle was added to the existing N aisle. There are a number of 17th and 18th century gravestones on the S and E sides of the church. About 1221 Walter Stewart granted the church to the Gilbertine House at Dalmilling (NS32SE 4) and at some time before 1238 it was regranted to Paisley Abbey.

OSA 1793; NSA 1845; RCAHMS 1985, J Paterson 1863-6; G Chalmers 1887-1902; H Scott 1915-61; J Strawhorn 1959; I B Cowan 1967; visited (IMS) October 1985

Architecture Notes

NS32SE 5.00 37513 24064

NS32SE 5.01 37539 24063 Churchyard

NS32SE 48 37532 24051 James Campbell Mausoleum (Oswald Mausoleum)

EXTERNAL REFERENCE:

Scottish Record Office.

Alterations and repairs to the Church 1823-1824.

The cost of the repairs amounts to #347.14.7 of which #244.5.6 was spent on

the aisle.

Receipt for William Forbes's proportion of the cost.

1825 GD 171/Box 82

National Library

Country Life 19th October 1940 - gravestone of a gardener and his tools.

The church, graveyard and Campbell mausoleum were photographed in 2009 on behalf of the Buildings of Scotland publication series.

Activities

Aerial Photography (1 May 2007)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions