Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Underwood House

Moat (Medieval), Tower House (Medieval)

Site Name Underwood House

Classification Moat (Medieval), Tower House (Medieval)

Canmore ID 41680

Site Number NS32NE 17

NGR NS 39018 29262

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/41680

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council South Ayrshire
  • Parish Craigie
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Kyle And Carrick
  • Former County Ayrshire

Archaeology Notes

NS32NE 17 39018 29262

(NS 3902 2926) The ruins of an old baronial castle, with a moat, stood on Underwood estate in 1785 when it was purchased by Mr. Kennedy, who built the present mansion on the site, as the old castle was irreparable.

J Paterson 1863

The present Underwood was built in 1789, according to the owner, and incorporates no obvious material from the former castle. A north wing was added in c.1900. There is no knowledge or trace of a moat and no suspected alternative site for the castle foundations have been found in a paddock on the NW side of the house but these are likely to be of old outbuildings. Armstrong's map shows Underwood in the same approximate position.

Visited by OS (JRL) 11 November 1980

There are no visible remains of 'an old baronial castle, with a moat', which is said to have occupied the site of the present house at Underwood.

Armstrong 1775; J Paterson 1863-6; RCAHMS 1985, visited (IMS) April 1985.

NS 3902 2926 A watching brief was carried out in October 2000 at Underwood House (NMRS NS32NE 17) during the construction of a new stable block. No significant archaeological deposits were encountered. (GUARD 947).

Sponsor: Mr A K Collins.

P Duffy 2001

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions