Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Lewis, Callanish

Head Dyke (Post Medieval), Lazy Beds (Post Medieval), Township (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Lewis, Callanish

Classification Head Dyke (Post Medieval), Lazy Beds (Post Medieval), Township (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Calanais

Canmore ID 4166

Site Number NB23SW 19

NGR NB 2180 3320

NGR Description Centred on NB 2180 3320

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/4166

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Western Isles
  • Parish Uig
  • Former Region Western Isles Islands Area
  • Former District Western Isles
  • Former County Ross And Cromarty

Archaeology Notes

NB23SW 19 centred on 2180 3320

The Object Name Book (OS) describes the township as 'A small village of huts, they are built of peat sods and stones, and are thatched with straw, the only exceptions to these is the Callanish Inn (NB23SW 20) which is built of stone and slated.

Name Book 1853

A crofting township, comprising thirty-two roofed buildings, one of which is annotated as an inn (NB23SW 20), one partially roofed building, twelve unroofed structures of which at least six are annotated as 'Ruin'and some lengths of head-dyke is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Island of Lewis, Ross-shire 1853, sheet 25). To the E is an extensive system of head-dykes (NB23SW 74) which may be partly associated with this site.

The crofting township has expanded as shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1974).

Information from RCAHMS (AKK) 29 September 1997.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions